Looking to freshen up your spiral Math review with a daily Number Corner?
Well, here is an idea for you!
Our daily Number Corner is simple, engaging, and a great way to review concepts. Students bring a Math Notebook to the carpet (I use just a regular lined notebook).
We roll dice to generate our “Number of the Day”.
Once the number is determined here are our steps:
- Write Number
- Analyze it! – Determine if it is Odd or Even
- Tally it!
- Line it! – place the number anywhere on the 5 spots, count forward, backward, or both
- Think it! – 1 more, 1 less, 10 more, 10 less (As we figure out the answers together, I write the above steps as it is too high for the kiddos to reach. Steps 6-8, I have kiddos come up and write the answers on the board.)
- Construct it! – with magnetic base 10 blocks
- Break it down! – decompose the number
- Compare it! <, >, =
(While the student is at the board showing what they know, I have tossed in some clock review for the kiddos at the carpet. I show a time on the clock and they write it in their notebook.)
Click on the picture below for a link to a freebie to help you create this board in your classroom!
At the beginning of the year, some of these concepts are foreign to our little learners. At this point in the year, it’s exciting to see them want bigger and bigger numbers, next week we will attempt numbers beyond 100!